There have been way too many times that I have baked a cake and been disappointed because it’s too dry or not chocolatey enough.
I really felt like baking yesterday because it was so cold – and especially after all the rain. Cape Town really needs this rain. Hopefully it has helped to fill our dams a bit…
(Skip to the bottom for recipe and method…)
Check out my video for this recipe here:
Now I am telling you – this cake is too tasty for words. When I first made it – everyone in my household was making those “hmm… Ooooh… Oh my gaaaash…” sounds for a couple minutes – even after the cake was gone.
This cake is one of those cakes that go well with anything. Ice cream, cream, berries, fruit… more chocolate?… and because it’s only got 6 ingredients you don’t make much mess. I suppose having the Thermomix does help.
Whenever there are loads of eggs in a recipe – then I know it’s gonna be a good cake. It is flourless so I suppose that definitely helps keep it moist.
I landed up having the cake for dinner – definitely not recommended – this cake can make you feel ill… but it was worth it!
Let me know if you decide to give it a go! I can definitely recommend taking it to parties – everyone will be asking you for the recipe.
- 200 g unsalted butter
- Spray and Cook
- 200 g dark chocolate (70% or more)
- 1-3 tablespoon(s) strong coffee
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 70g cocoa powder – extra for dusting
- Double Boiler
- Cake Tin
- Thermomix (Or electric mixer)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/gas 3.
- Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with your spray and cook and line with greaseproof paper (if you like).
- Rest a heatproof bowl (big enough for all your chocolate and butter) over a small pot of simmering water. Break in the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate has melted half way, add the butter. Stir continuously until fully melted. It should look smooth and glossy.
- Remove the bowl from the heat.
- Stir in the coffee and set aside to cool.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites between two bowls.
- Whisk the egg whites with your butterfly whisk for 2 minutes on 3.5 or until soft peaks form.
- Remove from Thermomix and set aside.
- Beat the sugar and yolks for 3 minutes on 2 or until pale.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and 1 pinch of sea salt – fold through to combine.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg yolk, sugar and cocoa mixture.
- Fold the egg whites through. Do not over-mix. Keep it light and fluffy!
- Transfer to the prepared tin and place in the hot oven for around 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack, then serve with a dusting of cocoa powder, fresh berries, chocolate, cream, ice cream and anything else you like!